The Greenwall Foundation’s bioethics grants program, Making a Difference in Real-World Bioethics Dilemmas, supports research to help resolve an important emerging or unanswered bioethics problem in clinical, biomedical, or public health decision-making, policy, or practice. Our aim is to fund projects that promote the Foundation’s vision and mission through innovative bioethics research that will have a real-world, practical impact. Projects may be empirical, conceptual, or normative. Successful teams commonly involve a bioethics scholar and persons with on-the-ground experience with the bioethics dilemma, for example, in clinical care; biomedical research; biotechnology, pharmaceutical, big data, and artificial intelligence companies; or public service.
Projects with the following characteristics will not be funded under this program:
- Projects for which bioethics is not the main focus.
- Projects that simply describe or analyze bioethics issues or provide a conceptual framework, without making practical recommendations for resolving the issues.
- Projects that implement or make incremental improvements in established approaches to bioethics problems, build institutional infrastructure, or provide bioethics education, training, or coursework.
- Projects that have predetermined conclusions or advocate for predetermined positions.
- Projects whose main goal is to convene or enhance a meeting, unless there is a well-developed plan to produce a major peer-reviewed publication with consensus recommendations, guidelines, or best practices that have a strong likelihood of real-world implementation. The applicant must have a strong record in convening similar successful impactful meetings.
- Projects to support or extend ongoing or core activities of an organization.
- Projects with a principal investigator who does not have a PhD, JD, MD, or an equivalent doctoral-level degree.
- Applications from unaffiliated individuals, or from institutions that do not have tax-exempt status in the United States.
Questions about the Making a Difference grants program should be directed to Johanna Brownell at firstname.lastname@example.org.