History of the Greenwall Foundation
The Greenwall Foundation was established in 1949 by Frank K Greenwall, CEO of National Starch Products, Inc., later to become National Starch and Chemical Corporation, and his wife, Anna Alexander Greenwall. Begun as a family foundation with an initial capital of $13,500, Greenwall is today an independent foundation awarding approximately $3 million annually. For a history of the Greenwall Foundation's first 50 years, please click here.
The Greenwall Foundation has been recognized nationally for its interdisciplinary program in bioethics and for supporting innovative artistic work in New York City.
The Foundation's Program in Arts and Humanities focused on support for small and midsize New York City arts organizations, especially those fostering experimentation and the creation of new and interdisciplinary work in theater, dance, music, the visual and literary arts and new media. The Program concluded in 2011 and is no longer accepting applications. For a history of the Foundation's Program in Arts and Humanities, please click here.
Beginning in 2012, The Foundation's grant-making will focus solely on bioethics, primarily building and enriching the Greenwall Faculty Scholars Program in Bioethics.
From 1991 to 2011, The Foundation's program in bioethics has provided funding for physicians, lawyers, philosophers, economists, theologians and other professionals to address issues in bioethics, providing guidance for those engaged in decision making at the bedside as well as those responsible for shaping institutional and public policy.
For a history of the Greenwall bioethics programs from 1991 to 2011, click here.